Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Three Things

Word to those who may not know: Ethan is NOT (by any stretch of the imagination) a morning person. Not at all. Never. Nope.

Except, apparently, on this tour.

Because, miraculously, I manage to drag myself out of bed at 6:30am for a 7:40am van call. Every day. While my roommates are still asleep. But why, you ask, and how do you manage such a feat of endurance and mind over matter? How, pray tell, do you manage to be one of "the most energetic people every morning," as stage manager Emileena has told me, while overcoming such a major personal shortcoming?

Three things: shower, coffee and food.

It's kind of a three-part wake up. I scald myself awake, taking the hottest shower I can stand. I then dress (usually in a half-dark room; I have a deep appreciation for other people's sleep) and stumble my way down to hotel reception. There, I definitely grab a cup (or two) of coffee. Which are downed like espresso shots. After which comes breakfast.

Now, not quite every hotel we've enjoyed has offered the continental breakfast. And those breakfasts we have enjoyed are not all created equal. Even within the same chain. Our Days Inn in Fredonia, NY offered make your own waffles (and to view some of that action check out this video over at the Sally Swims A Lot blog), while last night's in Alexandria, VA managed to skip the entire deal together. On days when breakfast is not provided us, we usually manage a trip to McDonalds, where I have learned the joys of the McSkillet breakfast burrito, in both its regular and steak varieties. Classy, right? But, it's a fast 610 calories, and I need all of 'em.

So, burned, highly caffeinated, and hyped up on carbs, I am usually able to manage my way through about two shows. And very well at that (if I do say so myself). And, sometimes, with a few jokes backstage. That sorta make people laugh.

However, there is a reason we have an air mattress in the back of the passenger van. And my drool is ALL OVER the pillows.

Kid quote of the day: When Ruby discovered the tiara in Grandma's attic, a little girl shouted, "Ewww!" We have no idea why.

Call tomorrow: 7:40am, HoJo in Bellmawr, NJ. I'll be awake at 6:30. And, yes, HoJo does serve a continental breakfast. I checked.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I DO find it miraculous that you've managed to become a "morning person"... especially after all of those early-morning Mock Trial tournaments and scrimmages! Don't think I've forgotten! :)