Friday, February 22, 2008

SNOW DAY!!!

So, I feel like I'm 8 years old again. Today, when I awoke at 5:30am to prepare for our 6:30am call, I found the grounds of our Essington, PA Motel 6 (which is a dump; avoid at all costs!) covered in about four inches of snow. There were rumors that one or more of our three shows would be cancelled in Upper Darby today due to "inclement weather," but we were to be informed at 5:30am, so I figured that the people of Pennsylvania had more fortitude than New Yorkers and weren't going to let a little white stuff scare them off. So, I showered, shaved and headed off for breakfast at Denny's. And then the calls came in.

First it was only the 10:00am. Great, I thought. More time to enjoy my coffee and pancakes. Then, as Leigh joined me at my table, we got word that the 12:15pm. OK, so we've got a REALLY long day. And then, about 20 minutes later, a text message arrived at my phone: "The 7:30 is cancelled, we have teh whole day off - WOOHOO!" And thus, my friends, began the snow day.

So, what do a stranded troupe of actors do on an impromptu snow day? Well, we hung around our motel until about noon, and then headed out to explore exotic Springfield, PA. (A Philly trip was contemplated, but snow and parking issues precluded any serious consideration). A bunch of us got tickets to see Juno, and then we took a much-needed trip to:



Yes, besides being one of Theatreworks/USA's sponsors, Target is also one of the most important places in a touring company's life. Most everyone found something they couldn't life without (loofahs, t-shirts, stretchy pants, storage bins for props, scented candles and blankets were just some of the purchases). With our maxivan stuffed with, um, stuff, we headed out in search of food and wound up having an excellent dinner at a pricey Thai restaurant. And then it was back to Motel 6, where I am now.

It is this kind of "bonding" experience that has been missing from our tour so far. While there is great love among all company members (still!), we haven't yet had the time to do anything terribly social outside of the show. Typically, we arrive at a town, we (maybe) eat together, we crash and then we get up again and put up the play. That schedule, if we keep it up for the entire trip, will be grueling, perhaps to the point of burn-out. However, we're only about two weeks in, and we're still figuring things out. And, we do have those 4 days off in Florida...

Call tomorrow: 9:00am, parking lot at Motel 6. We're going to Trenton.

No comments: