Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Challenging Times

Today was our first serious lesson in adaptability. While the roof post suggests set adaptability and challenges, this was the first time our playing space itself caused rather significant changes on stage. Let me explain visually:



I reference my prior post regarding roof height.

In addition, we were granted a total of three feet of playing space between the house and the hands of screaming children. This called for some “creative restaging.” Marching kicks replaced pinwheels, our castle prop moved locations, alterations were made to the set (we lost a whole backdrop), all in the span of about 45 minutes. A true team effort.

And then it was show time. Two shows in fact. Admittedly, I felt wonky the whole time. Half of my brain was trying to reconfigure the blocking, while the other was attempting to retain some modicum of “emotional connection” to the scene. And, to make matters more exciting, Ruby’s mic pack malfunctioned during the second show and, as the 2nd ASM (in charge of sound; more on that in coming days), I wound up doing some troubleshooting backstage. And I was tired. A 7:15am call does not a rested Ethan make.

But, in all honesty, it is these kinds of experiences that I thrive on. Theatre is one big “happy accident,” and it’s the attempt to keep getting it right that gets me going. While I contend that these were not my “best” shows of the run, they are certainly, at this point, the biggest rushes. And, after so many days off, I’m “pumped” again.

However, after these back to back shows, a 3 hour drive (through snow!) to PA and a fried fish dinner at Friendly’s – well, I think Ben’s face says it all:



Kid quote of the day: During the pre-show announcement, a little girl started singing the “Max & Ruby” song from the TV show. When our music started (which is radically different), I heard a significant whimper come from her corner of the audience.

Call time tomorrow: 6:45am, lobby of Days Inn. We’re performing in a real theater!!

No comments: