Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ASL

Emileena surprised us (or, at least, me) with great news this morning: our first show of the day here in Concord, NH would be ASL interpreted! In fact, we had an entire deaf school coming to see the show! COOL!

I have always been a big fan of accessibility in the theater, and getting two interpreters in front of the stage is my favorite way this happens. Probably because I like to watch them when I'm backstage (and sometimes when I'm on stage, if I can get away with it!) Anyway, our interpreters were great and really captured the sensibilities of the show. The woman interpreting Ruby captured the "ultimate patience with Max" face that Michelle has mastered, and Max's interpreter mastered the devious smile. And, in my case, I learned the signs for one of my characters:



Cool, huh?

Anyway, we've finished off our two days in Concord and now have an impromptu day off (a show was canceled) before we head to Lebanon to perform in what is rumored to be a very pretty opera house. New Hampshire looks just like I would expect it: colonial and green. Concord also seems to shut down pretty early, as our attempt at food finding proved last night. And it also appears to be McCain territory, after the number of giant posters we've seen for him. We're keeping a low profile in that regard.

Kid quote of the day: When Mr. Barley made his second entrance and greeted Ruby, a little girl started crying. I was sad.

Call tomorrow: Well, um, we need to check by noon, so, theoretically, before then.

2 comments:

LinBiz said...

I saw you on Facebook and then checked out your blog and am so impressed with your energy to do so many shows and be on the road! I also love to see signing, it is so very graceful, almost a dance unto itself, and a performance art nearly, too. Good luck to you! - Linda Smith in California

LinBiz said...

Oops, Hi again, it wasn't FaceBook, it was Twitter! - L in Calif