Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Day That Was, But Should Not Have Been

The day started well enough. I rolled out of my Cape Cod HoJo bed at 6:30am, showered, packed, grabbed a packet of PopTarts from Ben (my roommate for the night and the owner of half of the PopTart stash) and headed towards the reception area to check out and grab their version of continental breakfast. As I approached the building, however, something seemed strange. For 7am, the place was dead, and their didn't appear to be anyone behind the desk. A quick twist of the door handle proved me right: the place was locked down. However, through the windows, I spied a fresh pot of coffee, two carafes of juice and cereal. Which meant that somebody was there. My pounding on the door becoming futile, and there not being enough time to drive off in search of liquid caffeine, I angrily ate my PopTarts as I stared down the HoJo coffee machine.

Not a good start to the day.

Then we arrived at the Cape Cod Community College, which does indeed frequently get referred to as CCCC. After a lovely, fast load-in (with limited bodily harm) and a good sound check, Emileena came to us with the bad news: there were two shows scheduled, although only one was reflected on our schedules. Not normally an issue, but Equity requires that we be informed of "added shows" at least eight days in advance. So, secret balloting was held, Theatreworks was called, a little drama ensued, and we voted to do the show with some additional compensation (again, along union guidelines). Both shows went well (although everyone is pretty wiped out; we had planned for a one-show day, after all), we loaded out quickly and now we're on the road to Providence, RI, for our last out-of-town show. Which is, incidentally, one of my favorite towns.

What other wonders does this day hold in store for us?

Kid quote of the day: After the Blue Tarantula fingers popped over the wall for the second time, a little boy excitedly cried, "There IS a Blue Tarantula." Suspension of disbelief, indeed.

Call tomorrow: Unknown, as of now. I'm actually blogging in real-time from a Burger King. Classy, I know.

No comments: