Saturday, May 17, 2008

Introductions: Practicing Safe Sound

A warning to my more sensitive readers: this post is rated PG-13.

Tomorrow's our final travel day, and the beginning of our last week of shows, which is sort-of bitter sweet. More on that later. However, here is the long-promised blog entry about what I do offstage. Meet Assistant Stage Manager 2.

(What, you were expecting a costume?)


At the beginning of this crazy adventure of a tour, I was offered the chance to earn an extra $6 a week for acting as ASM2. You see, every actor on a Theatreworks tour is signed as an ASM as well as an actor, which allows us to do load-in and load-out under Equity regulations. That said, we all become just actors at half-hour to our places call. Except for ASM1 (on this tour, Lydia) and ASM2 (me). We can be asked to work into our half-hour, without Theatreworks having to pay us for it. And, in addition to this, we each have a "specialty" of our own: ASM1 deals with set issues, and I help with Emileena's sound set-up. Which explains why I am frequently switching out faulty wireless body-mic packs backstage, changing wires, microphone elements and windscreens and pestering my fellow actors to not turn off their mics between shows.

One of the most exciting parts of my day, however, is when I get to prepare the microphones. After Emileena has synced the mics to the receivers, she gives me a shout and I come over to work my magic. And this is how I do it:










Do I really need to say anything else?

Kid quote of the day: When Max knocked down the castle at the end of the song "Happily Ever," two boys in the front row decided not to applaud. They gave Max a big "thumbs down."

Call tomorrow: I am still awaiting Emileena's text message.

No comments: