Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Keeping It Fresh

We're into a series of local shows, which means that we do our shows at venues within relative driving distance of NYC, and sleep at home. Which, for those longtime readers, means that I am setting upwards of five alarms every morning to ensure that there are no more "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" days. It also means that I'm very tired, as each day of shows this week is followed by a rehearsal for my summer gig at the zoo. And these longs days, I've decided, earn me a glass of wine every night before bed.

Our week started with some house-less (as in our set, not our audience) shows in New Haven and Hartford, CT. At both locations, I had friends in the audience, which was really delightful. It's amazing how hearing the glimmer of a familiar laugh, or seeing a face or even knowing that someone "special" is out there makes you want to give a powerhouse performance. And I was quite pleased with the shows I gave, and the new discoveries I started to bring to all of my characters. It's never too late to mix it up a tad, and I like the new stuff. Froggie's RIBBITs are a little different each night, which keeps me fresh and Max and Ruby excited; a few extra cowboy sounds during Cowboy Max ensures that I still love doing the number; even a slightly slower line here or a stretched vowel there makes me feel more alive on stage. And, with ten performance left, I'm glad I am still turning out shows that I like without "checking out." Which, mind you, is an easy proposition (I could do this show in my sleep), and tempting when you've risen at 4:00am to make a 6:00am van call. However, my friends, my company and (most importantly) the kids deserve a good show. And, honestly, so do I. Because (and don't let this get out) Max & Ruby is really too much fun to perform, and even in my most frustrated moments, I am dazzled by the fact that they pay me to do this. I've described our show as "crack for the six-and-under crowd," and the high is pretty contagious when you're the one dressed as a gorilla.

Kid quote of the day: As a response to Ruby's lyric, "Happily Ever, then what?," a little girl exasperatedly instructed, "Ruby! AFTER!!" Think about it for a second...

Call tomorrow: 6:50am, Manhattan garage near Columbia University.

No comments: