Monday, May 5, 2008

A Job

Touring is difficult. I'm not sure that this is something I've stressed adequately in this blog. Most of you know that I am the eternal optimist and embrace the Rick Steve's "Always Say Yes" approach as much as I can in life, but I think it is worth mentioning that doing a show up to 13 times a week while loading in and loading out AND driving to your next venue (sometimes up to 8 hours) is not exactly a cake walk. And it leads me to think about a conversation I had with a patron a few weeks back.

I had come across a sponsor at one of our venues who was very excited to speak to me. She gushed about the show (which was very nice, as it had been a particularly tough performance) and then asked me a very simple, very leading question: "So, this must be just the most fun thing to do ever, right?" My instincts kicked in and I responded with mostly positive remarks, but it got me thinking. Yes, I love this show to bits and am thrilled beyond words that I am currently gainfully employed as an actor, but, just like anything else, doing the same thing over and over for months can take its toll. And it can start to feel like "a job," the same as any other. Some days, it's hard to get yourself going. And the energy of the show, in addition to our load-in and load-out, can leave you utterly exhausted. Sadly, I was starting to see myself getting frustrated and "rutted" during our local run-outs during the last few days. That, my friends, is an actor's nightmare.

And then Fairfield happened.

We had three lovely performance there, two of which were for the general public, where we actively saw kids and parents coming together. Moms, Dads and Grandma's laughing along at the PG humor with the kids sitting open-mouthed, following Max and Ruby's antics within an inch of their lives. And they applauded Max & Ruby's entrances, clapped along during our closing number and gave us such a warm reception that we all just wanted to race back out their give them a big hug. And, most tangibly, these two notes arrived backstage:


Dear Ruby,
When you said to Max to take a nap, some of the blue tarantula's legs came up and I also saw the blue tarantula's head. It was popping up its head. The blue tarantula is only fake. Please tell Max Because Max was kind of scared.
Love Kate

Dear Max,
You shouldn't have been afraid. The tarantula was very silly. The play was very fun. And you are great because you look cute. I made a SuperBunny book that has 4 pages and one chapter. And I really, really like your play.
Love Emma.


A scanned version is on its way.

If that isn't a reminder of why we do show, dress in these crazy costumes, sing along to these peppy tracks and build this monster house, I don't know what is.

Kid quote of the day: On Ruby's suggestion that Max take a nap, all the kids shouted NO and the grownups shouted YES. See what I mean about bringing people together?

Call tomorrow: 7:45am, parking lot of Hampton Inn in Concord/Bow, NH. And boy am I ready for it!

No comments: